|Homemade dog leash made from 1 t-shirt and an old hook/clip|
With just one old t-shirt, a clip from a worn out leash, and a tiny (and I mean tiny) bit of sewing, you can make a homemade dog leash in less than an hour.
- Old t-shirt (adult small or larger)
- Sharp scissors
- Snap clip from old leash (or can buy at many hardware stores)
- Needle and thread
- Fabric glue (optional)
Step-by-Step Directions and Video for Homemade Dog Leash:
- Cut the bottom hem off of the t-shirt and cut the arm and neck part off as well.
- Cut down the side of the t-shirt to create a rectangular piece of cotton that can be laid flat.
- Cut a 1 inch strip, but just before you reach the end STOP!
- Now go over an inch and start cutting the other direction and again STOP before you get to the end.
- Keep doing this so that you eventually have one long strip of fabric instead of several strips.
- Take the really long strip, (which used to be the rectangle of cotton), and cut it into three about equal strips.
- Feed the end of each strip through the clip hook and run the clip to the middle of each strip so that you now have six strips.
- Take each strip and pair with another to form three strips that are wrapped over the clip.
- Start braiding the doubled-up strips.
- Once you have braided and run out of material, stitch the ends to keep it together. Cut off any excess material.
- Take the end and bring it down to create a handle.
- Hand sew the handle together with the lease.
- Take a piece of fabric from the arm of the t-shirt to create a cover for where you stitched the handle together.
- You can use fabric glue to put the cover piece on or hand sew it. Just make sure the handle is hand sewn well, and tightly, before putting the cover on.
- You now have a homemade dog leash that is machine washable, can be composted when it wears out and if you use an aluminum clip....that part can be recycled!