Thursday, June 19, 2014

Seven People Foods that are Safe and Healthy for Your Dog

There are a few things that dog owners are divided on; things like dogs sleeping in beds, allowing them on the furniture, and my favorite....giving dogs people food. I have to be honest and confess, I do all of the above. Our dogs are part of our family, and they likely think they are human at times, (considering I have found them sitting on my deck chairs). Although some foods can be deadly for canines, there are many people foods that are safe and healthy for dogs. So, if you are considering letting your dog have people food, or have been unsure about foods that are safe for your dogs, here is the Pupcycled list of seven great foods to share with your dog.


  1. Apple Chunks- Diced or sliced, apples are a nice crunchy treat for your dog. Try different varieties and see what he likes best.
  2. Bananas- Next time you eat a banana, give the two ends to your dog, or mix it with a little peanut butter and plain yogurt and put into ice cube trays in the freezer for a frozen treat during the dog days of summer! (Full recipe HERE).
  3. Peanut Butter-This can be added to bananas and apples, served plain, or mixed into homemade dog treats. (See the recipe section of this blog for more ideas).
  4. Popcorn- My dogs can hear a popcorn bag a mile away and this is absolutely their favorite people food snack! Try to stick with air popped or the healthiest microwave version you can find. Excessive butter and salt is just as dangerous for dogs as it is for humans. 
  5. Carrots-I usually feed my dogs baby carrots, but larger dogs may enjoy chewing on a full size carrot as well. You can also shred carrots and put over dog food or into homemade dog treats.
  6. Chicken-Make sure if you give your dogs chicken, it is thoroughly cooked and does not have any marinade or sauce on it. I also serve my chicken to the dogs in bite size pieces.
  7. Dinner on the deck anyone?
  8. Pretzels- The mini unsalted pretzels are perfect people food treats to take on the go. When I run out of homemade treats, pretzels are my back up training treat as well.
The next time you are enjoying one of these all-natural healthy human foods, feel free to give your dog a bite as well. All of these treats also work well added to dog food at meal time, or used in place of store-bought dog treats!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea plain popcorn and unsalted pretzels are safe treats for dogs. My dogs have IBD so I don't get to give them people food but this is good info to hold into for the future.

    ReplyDelete